May 2011-May 2013

Kevin has been called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He has been assigned to labor in the Brazil Londrina Mission for two years and will be teaching the gospel in the Portuguese language. Kevin will not be using the internet while serving as a missionary. This site will be updated by me, his mom, as I recieve his weekly email letters and pictures. Enjoy!

Monday, November 5, 2012

Halloween, Stake Conferences, Election, & Smoking


Halloween past by completely unnoticed, if i didn’t have to renew my vista on Oct 31st I would have never even thought about it.
Here in the “Londrina T” stake we will have conference this next week. The culture about Church meetings are a lot diferente here, because more than half the people don’t have cars they have to walk to church so one of the biggest concerns that bishops and stake presidentes have  is simply getting the people to go to church every Sunday, and especially stake conferences.
I really look forward to stake conferences; I really can recognize how spiritually great the seventies are. When I was growing up a stake conference was just like any other Sunday, but now that I guess I’m more spiritually involved in every church meeting, I can see and feel the difference in the spirituality of brother John Doe in the Ward and one of the seventy when they visit. I´m not saying that brother John isn’t spiritual, because an  honest testimony with sincere words Always brings the spirit, but when a general authority talks he brings with it his calling, and they always talk about what the people in that region really need.
Are there really 47 missionaries from our stake? That’s crazy! Here a stake is Lucky if it sends out 7 or 10. How many wards are there in the stake?
As for the election, every investigator seems to ask me who is going to win, and I’m so disconnected I don’t know anything. Hey, if my ballot got there in the mail, can you guys vote for me. Send one more in for Romney (not like it will matter, we do live in Oregon)  
I Liked the Package you all sent! I got a bunch of Pictures from R and Peanut butter and Cake from the Family. Every morning now I make a “vitamina” how they call it in Portuguese. I put whole milk, bananas, Nesquick, and peanut butter in a blender. It’s delicious, But I’m also gaining weight. . .
This week is my Companions Last week on the mission. We have about 8 people that could be baptized but have problems. (Marriage, word of wisdom, etc. . .)
We are teaching a young couple that both smoke. We gave them a blessing to stop and the husband, who smoked a carton of cigarettes per day didn’t smoke any more since then. The wife is having a harder time, she just is smoking less. This is the third time on the mission that I gave someone a blessing to stop smoking and they stopped. They all have the same thing that they just don’t have any more desire to. I know the Priesthood is real, but it completely depends on the Faith of the person who was blessed, I have given blessings in a lot of people that just kept smoking in the same way.
Love you all, I´m doing great here
-Elder Leete